adventure starts 3-30-10

I am taking another long trip. I am not completely sure, where i will end up. The only thing i know with some certainty is that i will arrive in Rome Italy, then head up to Assisi. My goal is to walk across to Santiago Spain. I hope to meet some old and new travel friends along the way. I also hope to introspect and gather experience and wisdom to enrich my life. I believe i will end back up in Asia, and once there I will probably do meditation retreats. this blog will document me, as I get all this sorted!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

7-28-10 Poblacion de Campos to Calzadilla de la Cueza day 115

7-28-10 Poblacion de Campos to Calzadilla de la Cueza day 115

I wake at fivish and get going by six.. again S walks with me.. ..i still feel srong so I am able to walk pretty fast....when we first started walking, there were a bunch of young guys singing badly and loudly in the pre-dawn morning... they were taking rock songs and converting them into funny songs about the camino.. both obnoxious and entertaining... I did not get my first real coffee until after 11kms of walking.....We meet a trilingual belgium man that S had already met before...she knew everyone who could speak friench, and was accompanied by an older chain smoking german woman.. The man had started the Camino from his home in Belgium and had been underway for about as long as me.. his eventual goal was to go to Santiago and then from there walk all the way to Rome. He hoped to make Rome by Christmas time..S would walk with him and I walk with the woman....later we compare notes and stories and it is not 100% consistant.. but they talk about each other...it seems to be a complicated frienship..and they are not getting on well ...apparently he is a diabetic who does not take care of his health.. and she is an alchoholic who is hoping to quite alcohol on the camino but is drinking a lot some times..so this is what they said about each other behind each others back..but in my direct conversation with her, she talks to me about american army base and the americans that used to live in her house...Since my childhood the american army bases that I remember all over germany seem to be disappearing... she too has done the camino in stages and has started in france..she talked about her experience on a more northern route in France and some of re learning experiences ..we all meet up again in Carrende los Condesi.. a big town.. I know we made too many stops (for my walking energy), this day so it would stretch out later into the afternoon than I would have liked... we stop at a church


, in shops, talk to peeps.... At a supermarket.. I wait for S but was getting frustrated. It was 1.30 when we get going.. we had 16 more kms to do.. I was not on my schedule anymore and I know my energy... doing this many kms in the afternoon was bad... yet somehow out of politeness I waited.  I knew she could do those kms very quick if I was not there so she has different schedule from me.. the afternoon is hot flat..and there is nothing distracting in the landscape ...the other german lady from last night joins me and S on the last 10kms... she is multilingual and switches between german and french with frightening ease..as she talks with us.She is married to a spanish man, she tells us, and they live in italy together. He is both an artist and professor of spanish... because they met and live in italy together, her current primary language is now italian... As I said it was very hot.. very flat and no end in sight... we arrive at Calzadilla de la Curea after two hours of hard heat.. and for my boots, sharp rocky surface to walk on.. feet are sore.. I do my chores of shower laundry and the place has a pool...it is cold and has dying bugs.. so its not relaxing.. ..i do some bug rescue, not surprisingly raising curriousity.. I take a late siesta..S tries to get me into some communal meal thing again, I again chose to eat out.... there is again only one real restaurant in town serving pilgrim's menu...my option of potatoe omlette is a let down ...but I sit and have dinner with married itlaians who've I met a few times and we have gotten friendly over time... she is one of those miracle people who also has not had a single foot problem since she started walking.. her husband has done the camino before and even he was limping for a few days.. he scoules at her half jokingly...him and me joke that it's hard to trust people who dont have some sort of body problem on the camino.... I noticed they spoke good spanish and found out that they had spend a year in Bolivia and learned spanish while there, they recommended it highly.. we talked about American policy and Italy and drank half bottle of wine.... After dinner I met SA and A outside.. he was still teasing me about big bag..i decided the French, more than any other nationality on the camino, seemed to focus on the weight of my bag.. I managed to be in bed by a reasonable time despite all the socialing..

No comments:

Post a Comment