adventure starts 3-30-10

I am taking another long trip. I am not completely sure, where i will end up. The only thing i know with some certainty is that i will arrive in Rome Italy, then head up to Assisi. My goal is to walk across to Santiago Spain. I hope to meet some old and new travel friends along the way. I also hope to introspect and gather experience and wisdom to enrich my life. I believe i will end back up in Asia, and once there I will probably do meditation retreats. this blog will document me, as I get all this sorted!

Monday, April 12, 2010

4-11-10 Montepulciano to Pienze (day 7)


4-11-10 Montepulciano to Pienze (day 7)... on the map it does not look that far.. on car route the sign said 12kms. So a do-able portion for still healing feet... and slightly off stomach...

I had to laugh at myself, I had a dream that morning that I was back in my apartment in seattle, and I was checking out the place to see that I had packed everything, at first I thought I had but as I looked more closely and turned corners I notice more and more stuff unpacked, it was past the end of my lease and I was overwhelmed at how much I still had to do...so now I am beginning to have reactions to my last two weeks in seattle... cant believe I am having the 'I am not done' nightmares... kind of funny

After breakfast, I got some advise from the hotel young man, he was tall lanky totally shaved head., he looked like maybe he'd recovered from some ailment.. he was helpful in a gruff way... and ever so slightly off... he approved of my back pack.. and then tried to help orient me to find where the lesser road that the walking-biking trail should be. This is not first time, but I was surprised he had not heard of it...but he got me off in the right direction... outside raining and a bit chilly ...but fine if your moving... and the rain was more of a drizzle so I did not put on full gear or protect my pack. ..i saw a sign for walking trail so I went off on it... 20 min later I knew I had made some sort of mistake.. I was back out on a car road, I flagged down a driver and yes I had to head back..so that was a 40 min oops all together... I had to walk down the car street further..finally I found the right trail signs.. and the trail was clearly marked.. red and white strip markings on trees etc.. trail 6, the road was gravel and it wound through farm and little patches of thinned woods... I passed only one farmer in truck for two hours..i think this route was longer than 12kms because it took longer by an hour to get to town from my current known pace.....the trail was steep up and downs... my body did not like the downs..and I limped a little...up ironically I was slow but fine... years of seattle I think and it's hills... then the markings failed.. I had three paths to choose from... more hesitation..one lead to a house so it looked like a dead end...one steep up.. so I went off a little ways on both and saw no markings.. then finally I realized one was also a private road..so I climbed up a nice steep hill still not one hundred percent sure.. I realize I am now very leary of misreading maps and trails... but yup it was the right trail..markers showed up again as I was descending the hill on the other side... not helpful....

Today, there was a short period when I was on top of one of the rises, and the wind was blowing my hair, and things just felt right...even the rain had subsided and the sky lightened... I thought..why cant I just spend the rest of my life stumbling from village to village... across the globe?... today was the first time, maybe a sign that things are getting easier, where I definitely found myself reflecting about things more...not just focused on moving forward.....then my goal was in sight....i felt like the terrain was now mocking me... I had made it clear in my head that I preferred the up hill...well up hill I got... I did not think one could build roads so steep... I expect it in the woods but man made roads? The path seem to circle around the back of the village and then a very steep last piece into town... the rain had kicked up again...i guess i'd been sheltered by hills up till now...because when the rain and wind hit me dead on,close to town it was pretty savage, glad my whole walk had not been that way...

the 'walking' trail... the gravel road basically, passes around villages and not through them..so I took breaks on the side of the path...but by the time I got to town.. I needed food water and shelter in a hurry... I was limping again... I tried several albergers but no one was attending.. if I had a cell phone I could have called the numbers shown on the signs,but I did not have that modern convenience... finally I found a place that had a reception and the woman there spoke no english other than to let me know 'full'... she then guided me again across the rather small town of Pienze...to what turned out to be a small apartment rental...she knocked down the price enough so I could afford it...and left me with keys...i gave her money...she had done a demonstration walk through of how heat + light works.. I had to leave by ten am. Next day and leave keys in bowl...i did think it bit odd that there is so much trust...but then I am sure...the neighbors keep an eye out for each other here... I then found some basic provisions... restaurants were closed...it was sunday and I was too late for lunch and too early for dinner...so I stopped at one of the bar-cafes and had a small plate of ravioli and tomatoe sauce, and even though this is wine country I had a local brewed beer..which was quite delish...the town is very small, I stopped at the main church, and tried the museum, but their cover was high enough I desisted... I got some more snacks and water for my place... and then watched italian tv...resting my feet...they were very grateful.

today I felt things were a bit better, walking was easier.. I noticed my pack less, and what ever was irritating my belly had calmed down..thus endeth day seven

No comments:

Post a Comment