adventure starts 3-30-10

I am taking another long trip. I am not completely sure, where i will end up. The only thing i know with some certainty is that i will arrive in Rome Italy, then head up to Assisi. My goal is to walk across to Santiago Spain. I hope to meet some old and new travel friends along the way. I also hope to introspect and gather experience and wisdom to enrich my life. I believe i will end back up in Asia, and once there I will probably do meditation retreats. this blog will document me, as I get all this sorted!

Friday, April 30, 2010

4-26-10 Carrara to Ameglia -day 22

day 22- Carrara to Ameglia 4-26-10

I woke not feeling one hundred, my feet were quite tender again... I packed up my gear which had surprisingly spread itself throughout the room..then down to breakfast..an elderly woman at front desk directed me down another level. An elderly man was running the breakfast buffet, he eyed me suspiciously as he asked my caffeine choice.. cappuccino? Si!.. I tried to find the rare non sweet breakfast treats and sat down.. the other clientèle were all very elderly so perhaps I was the wrong age group for this place? By the time I was done with breakfast the old man had warmed to me. Perhaps my slight limp made him soften? Anyway as I left he handed me one of the paper bags and told me 'traditional picnic' I was surprised and thanked him. Later I found it contained a juice, water, a banana and a mozzarella tomato sandwich..lunch! I checked out a little before ten and started walking towards the ocean again. I think it was another 4km. I definitely was not feeling strong. Something was off. So I gave myself permission to stop where-ever I needed to for the day. Once on the ocean which again I could not since it is blocked from view by buildings and fences. This is probably more pleasant for the beach goer, who does not to have road traffic to look at and hear, but sad for me the walker. I definitely stopped hourly: water or coffee or both. I had side walk almost the whole way which was nice. I passed more industrial harbors and ship yards. Near a river that was feeding into the sea the beach finally opened up, there were some camp sites and some beaches that looked like you had to pay to use. I decided I wanted to get to Ameglia for the night. I stopped at the town Fiumaretta for my picnic lunch.

While sitting on a park bench over-looking an inlet, an elderly lady shuffled by and wished me 'bon apetito'- now why does that not happen when I eat my lunch on park benches at home? Lol.. it was a charming little harbor town.. Ameglia was only a few kms from here it was more inland when I arrived it was only two thirty I had maybe walked 13kms that day, but I was just bushed. I found the nearest albergo to crash..nothing special but in my budget. I went to the room and after settling I passed out for about two hours.. I woke around 5.30... and decided to look around a bit... I walked slowly towards the tiny old village up in the hill. I followed the trail but then it was blocked.. I could have done a bit of trail blazing and possibly hit another barricade but decided that this little town did not want to be seen by me this day.. and I was fine with that. I returned in time for dinner.. and after went back to my room futzing then asleep again... a low adventure day..

No comments:

Post a Comment