adventure starts 3-30-10

I am taking another long trip. I am not completely sure, where i will end up. The only thing i know with some certainty is that i will arrive in Rome Italy, then head up to Assisi. My goal is to walk across to Santiago Spain. I hope to meet some old and new travel friends along the way. I also hope to introspect and gather experience and wisdom to enrich my life. I believe i will end back up in Asia, and once there I will probably do meditation retreats. this blog will document me, as I get all this sorted!

Friday, April 9, 2010

from 4-5-10 Leaving Assisi going to Torgeano

It was not easy walk.. the weather was mostly rainy though it cleared in the afternoon and the rain only poured for maybe an hour, and my rain gear held up if my map dissolved a bit..
I left Assisi at 8.30 am I feel like I left the round about way thru a lesser used gate on nw side, I was trying to find a walking path but was uncertain what to look for so I stuck to the road for a while. At the bottom of Assisi by a water mill and small chapel a lady stopped her car and mostly in italian asked me if I needed an umbrella, I pointed at my bag to let her know I had equipment, I did thank her. I thought that was incredibly sweet of her though. I had to ask directions at a restaurant but was steered to a busy highway like road I did not want to walk that. I more or less knew I had to walk to the west of Santa Maria the train stop town, who's distinct dom I could see from here... I found an unpaved farm road which ran parallel to that high way. I walked about an hour and half from first start till I finally found the walking trail...it was much prettier, it ran along the river and was surrounded by trees and green and although it was never far from civilization it felt secluded.. only one or two joggers passed me for the next several hours. I realized this trail ran past the sides of towns and not through them. I got off trail to look for open store and water and could not find any. So biggest prob that day was not having enough water. It was easter monday and stores are not open then ..also of course I was juggling the weight of my pack and side bag and trying to figure out what was best balance. ...but mostly I was thirsty... the trail I was on according to my little walking map.. (wait, I should mention, I got two walking maps that will cover prob five to six days of my journey, from the book store in Assisi..i looked on line at a map this man had created for his same journey and graphed out my path the day before, at least for two days of it) the path I was on was called Percosa Verde. On one of my snack breaks (at least I had food provisions gotten day before) I saw a little black cat several yards ahead of me. It was checking me out.
I swear that it followed me for several km's till I hit the town Costano. In Costano I had to walk alongside the road with fairly light but very fast traffic. I had to ask a man to make sure I was headed in right direction. Glad I did cuz I wasn't. After that I was on the road for maybe another 10km till I hit Torgiano, these ten km hurt and I felt every part of it.. I was averaging about 1km per 15 minutes.. they had Km posts so I could time myself..these were long 15 minute intervals... I really had hoped not to walk this long on my first day but no town was big enough to host a guest house or hotel. There were signs for hotels and restaurants, i've made this mistake before..the signs are meant for car drivers and I tend to turn too soon because I dont realize the signs directing cars are giving directions for several meters ahead so car can react in time.. not turning on the dot...so I half moon walked the town, till finally I saw a cop and asked “Dove un hotel, alberge, e pansion?” this is my idea of italian. He asked me what sounded like which one? And I said 'Picollo Euro?' it's a wonder I get by...his friend must have translated that cuz they send me to a place I had passed earlier...not realizing what it was... I found a nice hotel but the help was harried, they obviously where cleaning up after a rather big event.. I guess lots of people eat out on easter monday. I think it was around 4;30 I was wrecked.. I went to my room showered took a nap...had no energy to deal with dinner..had some more cheese and bread from earlier...drank lots and lots of water... went to bed around seven and slept twelve hours..
I still have not quite figured out how many km's I walked for one the walking trail meanders more than the main road... but I have to say the scenery even along the car road is wonderful and the greens seem almost fake in my photos as if I photo shopped them..but it is really that bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment