adventure starts 3-30-10

I am taking another long trip. I am not completely sure, where i will end up. The only thing i know with some certainty is that i will arrive in Rome Italy, then head up to Assisi. My goal is to walk across to Santiago Spain. I hope to meet some old and new travel friends along the way. I also hope to introspect and gather experience and wisdom to enrich my life. I believe i will end back up in Asia, and once there I will probably do meditation retreats. this blog will document me, as I get all this sorted!

Monday, May 17, 2010

5-12-10 Finale Ligure to Albenga day 38


5-12-10 Finale Ligure to Albenga day 38

the hotel's breakfast was on the top floor... it definitely was a senior club...older people talking loudly to each other. There were also two younger couples with kids running around... the breakfast was real simple I just had roles and butter because everything else was sweet pastries and sadly a weird coffee from a machine..i'd remedied that later... I got packed and on the road.. I did the one thing I needed to, to clear my conscience... I used the hotels computer behind the counter with permission from the lady to look up the address of the hotel I stayed at in Arenzano, then I left looking for the local post office, which with help I found.. and I mailed back the keys i'd mistakenly taken, back to the hotel...that made me feel better.. I stopped by the church and set my intention, then hit the road..It would be an under-ambitious day.. I was not really that focused on the task of walking... I did not have to face the dangerous stretches I had to the day before.. and anyway now I was firmly committed to not using scary sidewalks if walking inside along the rock side was possible..i had two tunnels to negotiate with no real side walk but that was the worst of it...mostly it was along the beach with towns replacing each other... I decided to get lunch early I had not eaten real restaurant food in a while and I was craving greens. I found a chinese restaurant and ordered a lot of food: stir-fry veggies and tofu.. ironic I know.. in asia I grew tired of rice and asian style foods and craved things like italian. Now in italy I started craving stir fry and tofu, which at home is my usual food..it was delicious and there was someone's open wifi I could access.. when I take breaks I often whip out my lap top to journal a bit and I check if there is any ambient wifi to pirate.. today there was... a friend back home, was on the same time I was and I was able to skype to america and talk to her and briefly see her and her little boy who was bopping up and down in the back ground before the video stopped working.. this was a nice unexpected perk to my little lunch... sometimes technology is just cool... fortified I hit the road again.. As I continued to walk along beach towns I would see the palm treed walkways and beaches being prepared for the season...in italy one sees a lot of grand parents tending the children and walking the strollers down the promenades.. I tried to get some km's under my feet because I had such a slow morning stroll... the rail runs along the coast too and somewhere before Albenga it switched sides it now ran directly along the coast..and beaches had to be accessed by going bellow the train tracks through periodic tunnels... no more walkways along the beach... also the area started becoming less touristy probably because of this and to the other side of the coast, farms producing mostly flowers started propping up.. I was feeling the need to find a place to stay... again there was a choice of camp grounds... some I could not find out, who was running them and the office was closed so I kept walking.. some I just did not like the vibe... eventually I stopped at this one... the women running it were a little bit distant. They did not have tent space but I could rent a small trailer for the night, it was basically a trailer park.. the price was cheaper than hotel and more than camping .. I thought: why not....since it looked like this was the last site for a while... the women running it were a gay couple, they kind of insular and self protective like you would expect in a place were being gay is still a problem..the older woman warmed to me a bit and chatted, the other one just kind of marked her territory...adjusting her girlfriends necklace while we were talking. the trailer park had it's charms there were plenty of pretty plants everywhere and nice tacky spray painted sculptures of cherubs or aphrodite type statuary... my little trailer had electricity, tv, a toilet, and outside of it a little kitchen area... I was still pretty full from lunch so I went to the little cafe and got coins for the shower and water for the night... it was a very quiet park..hardly anyone was here .... early I had seen a what I thought was a gay-boy-couple going off to the far end of the trailer park.. so I decided that I had found the 'gay trailer park of Ligurie' I am sure it said it somewhere on a sign in italian... just kidding... the trailer inside was a little dark and old and it was awfully quiet and in the middle of no-where... despite some doubts I ended up sleeping like a baby...

No comments:

Post a Comment