adventure starts 3-30-10

I am taking another long trip. I am not completely sure, where i will end up. The only thing i know with some certainty is that i will arrive in Rome Italy, then head up to Assisi. My goal is to walk across to Santiago Spain. I hope to meet some old and new travel friends along the way. I also hope to introspect and gather experience and wisdom to enrich my life. I believe i will end back up in Asia, and once there I will probably do meditation retreats. this blog will document me, as I get all this sorted!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

5-9-10 Arenzano to Varazze day 35

5-9-10 Arenzano to Varazze day 35

I heard heavy rains at night, but it seemed to have cleared by morning..there were still grey clouds.... I packed up and left my room around tenish a bit later than usual … I had a cafe-dupio and crème croissant at the next door cafe which was very crowded with post church traffic, or so it seemed... then I tried to remember where the office to the hotel was since the room and the place were I was first dropped off where two diff places.. I could not remember..which let me know I was pretty out of it the night before...i had a print out with the name of hotel and finally a kind man showed me where it was.. it was only a block from the hotel and I thought it had been much further away ..even when I got inside I still was not sure if i was in the right place.. then the man from last night showed up and I knew I was okay.. I paid but inadvertently forgot to give him the keys which I found several hours later and far away (in walking terms) in my pocket.. I promised myself to look up the address and mail it back to him when I could..then I hit the road...late start and I wanted to take breaks early... it would be one of those days... it was not raining but it was cloudy out...i was pleased to find that I could walk along the water front and again pedestrian tunnels for at least two towns...then about half hour away from the last town there was a huge pile of rocks blocking the tunnel pass... it was clear that after this pile the path was under construction still.. an italian woman came climbing over from the other side..she spoke enough english to let me know it was too dangerous to proceed on the other side so the only thing to do was turn around... apparently there were no signs posted about this because other people were surprised by the end of the road too... I was annoyed cuz I had a late start, was moving slowly and now would loose an hour heading back to town and then back up on S1 the small highway i've been walking near or along for what feels like weeks now...to add a sense of humor to this the sky caved in and a tremendous down pour followed and it was not one of those ten minute showers either... I got my rain gear on in time but the rain was coming in from the ocean and hitting me sideways so parts did get wet.. once I got back on s1 I had to deal with on-coming traffic and hardly any curb or sidewalk and the rain... I saw a restaurant and took shelter... I had a veggie pizza and salad...by the time food had arrived and i'd eaten another hour had passed...i had stopped raining though...but I could tell I somehow lost my drive for that day... I proceeded along the road...eventually I would get a descent side walk...but still occasionally since I was walking on the cliff side.. the railing would be too low for my liking and the endless depth just a wee bit too clear... I should be grateful to side walk but it still made my heart patter...some creepy dudes pulled over and I think I got a half hearted solicitation... I was not sure what they wanted but it felt creepy... I said 'no habla italiano'... and they drove off... .. my right ankle had been calling my attention for the last two days... it felt tender and fragile like I might have tweeked it a little... not sure if it was the rain that added to it...but it felt more sore today ….so instead of my goal of 20kms I started looking for lodging at around 13kms... the town was Varazze, I checked out a camp ground but it just looked really dubious and they wanted way too much for camping with potential rain still in the skies... so I found the cheapest hotel in town...it looked more like a senior center but the room was dry and mine... I did an ambitious amt of laundry...ambitious in thinking it would dry since the heater seemed to be on a little.... and then explored the small town... it had a block in from the beach, the main little shopping strand...it was just waking up again from the sunday siesta, as I went out... I wasn't really hungry but needed more money from atm and hydration...also hoped for internet with wifi for my lap top..this I did get ...and I spend a nice long time uploading blogs to barrage my friends and photos... then back to my room... to settle in for the night... italian tv, mantras and a bit of journaling... no real insomnia this time luckily ….except at five am the upstairs dog was barking up a storm at something outside... so I put my i-pod on static and successfully drowned him out and slept again...i notice as important as it is for me to talk about the walk.. sleep also seems to be an important topic to talk about and share with yall!... ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment