adventure starts 3-30-10

I am taking another long trip. I am not completely sure, where i will end up. The only thing i know with some certainty is that i will arrive in Rome Italy, then head up to Assisi. My goal is to walk across to Santiago Spain. I hope to meet some old and new travel friends along the way. I also hope to introspect and gather experience and wisdom to enrich my life. I believe i will end back up in Asia, and once there I will probably do meditation retreats. this blog will document me, as I get all this sorted!

Monday, May 31, 2010

5-24-10 Le Muy to Taradeau day 50

5-24-10 Le Muy to Taradeau day 50again it would be a day that took a while to get going.. I packed up the normal time..but then thought it a good idea to do just a wee bit more interneting...well by the time I got out of the camp ground it was 11am... along the route... I saw some snack-shacks and decided to have coffee there and a sandwich for brunch..so that took a little time... I had not yet walked through the town of LeMuy so that came up after about a km or so... it had a mideavel feel... things seemed to be closed in it..later I found out it was a holiday... there was a little closed museum in town about liberation day, when the english and americans came to liberate I guess, from the germans.. the church and tourist info were also of course closed. I walked through town briefly but was not sure where the highway connected so walked back the way I came.. then back to highway and it wrapped all around town so I could have walked on through town anyway... then I saw a supermarket.. my tent pole had broke and also there was a tiny tent tear were it had poked out when I tried to remove it.. unless someone had fallen on my tent when I was not there I cant really imagine why it had broken other than it was cheap. I got some electrical tape, because that's all they had and super strong crazy glue (or so the image on the package promised).. then back on the road... if it is not clear there is a theme here.. lots of stops..little progression forward... yup, it would be one of those days... I blame it on the heat.. so I walked along for about half the stretch...it had a bike lane so I could walk on it...but sadly no trees near it's edge.. and there was no breeze.. I kept feeling like I was bordering on a heat head ache... I had a little face towel I kept wetting and applying and I definitely kept on top of hydration... yet somehow the km seemed to take twice as long in coming than I remembered.. there are little yellow markers on the side of the road that let me know..after a place called Les Arcs I switched highways to a smaller one called D 10..it had no bike lane and only little curb...so I had to switch sides periodically depending on what felt safest... I feel over all there is a slight decrease in the amount of cars that need to go fast at all costs.. but still I seem less tolerant of it now.. it's kinda getting my nerves more....i am in no real danger I think but the speeds at which things whip past me.. bugs me...after leaving the LeMuy vicinity I definitely noticed that there were no more road-side snack-bars or cafes, etc, to get water... I had plenty but it was a good warning to plan ahead now that I was in France.. finally I reached a town called Taradeau, again the tourist office was closed here.. I got water at a Tabac, the man there spoke to me in english so I asked him directions to the camping sign i'd seen and also how far away it was... he told me and the distance was 2-3kms from there.. I decided that it had been an unimpressive walking day, it was now around four and I was quite happy to call it a day and find this place... it was slightly off my path but I got there soon enough... the lady there did not speak english but she was very sweet and curious about how long I walked and where I had started.. I tried to put up my slightly broken tent and it was good enough... I found out that they did not have a shop or restaurant.. the water from the taps was safe, and I could buy beer and coke from her, if I wanted... so for dinner I had to either walk more or eat my olive paste and crackers.. I did the later... I did laundry and then I went and swam in their pool..which was not too cold...i discovered they had a Jacuzzi so I went in..it was more luke warm, than hot...but once I figured out how to actually turn it on..i had 15 minutes of hard core massage on my feet and shoulders... I was musing over the contrast of a hard day and no real supper and yet this kind of luxury... after wards I tried to find out if I could plug my lap top in somewhere....the woman then brought me into a room with a giant screen tv and she put on the only english program she new of just for me... and gave me the password to access internet which I did not know they had...so I sat and listened to BBC news programing while interneting and journaling...drinking a coke and beer... I was more sensible about the time and going to bed... I woke a lot since my body is a bit sore from walking and sleeping on hard ground means I have to move a lot....but not too bad a night...

No comments:

Post a Comment