adventure starts 3-30-10

I am taking another long trip. I am not completely sure, where i will end up. The only thing i know with some certainty is that i will arrive in Rome Italy, then head up to Assisi. My goal is to walk across to Santiago Spain. I hope to meet some old and new travel friends along the way. I also hope to introspect and gather experience and wisdom to enrich my life. I believe i will end back up in Asia, and once there I will probably do meditation retreats. this blog will document me, as I get all this sorted!

Monday, May 31, 2010

5-25-10 Taradeau to Carces day 51


5-25-10 Taradeau to Carces day 51

As I attempted to pack up my tent.. and remove the broken pole..the hole that had started tiny tore large.. it just impacted the place where the pole went through not tent itself..so tent itself was still whole and waterproof ...but now I had a bigger prob..torn fabric and broken pole..then I found that my lap top did not seem to have a charge..i worried something was broken but before I left I got to plug it one more time, it was working but somehow the battery had drained overnight.. phew.. I need my baby sitter! camp ground had no coffee or breakfast.. so I got out of there fairly reasonably.. since I knew it would be a walk before I hit anything town-like... and France really is proving to have nothing between towns.. but it would be a hard walking day... my feet hurt early and never really stopped hurting.. I dont know if it is the heat..i definitely felt pouty today...the first town I would pass through was Lorgues it was about 8kms away but it seemed to just take for ever... and I found the car traffic unnerving even though like I said before compared to Italy this was nothing....at one point I had to go seek shelter behind a little locked chapel and I actually cried... I was surprised I was so emotional but later I realized there were hormonal components involved as well... it was my 'sad' day...i think had anyone offered me a ride i would have taken it today...
...the first stretch was on road D10 rolling green hills in the back drop and farm land in the foreground.. mostly wheat and grape.. Towns seem to be not directly on the main roads and Lorgues too, I ended up passing as I switched highways to walk D562, but there was a road side restaurant and finally at lunch I had my coffee and as much food as I could eat to make up for dinner breakfast and now lunch..the road became narrower but mostly less traffic..the landscape again became empty of settlements and had mostly farm land.. it was beautiful..but like I said it was a hard day.. I think more psychological than anything else ... but because there really was no place to stop there was also no excuse I had to keep going... I did try very much to stay on top hydration. Today was a bit breezier and the shade was more frequent so that helped..

I came to Carce around four in the afternoon.. it seemed to have an eye towards tourism.. there were murals painted on a lot of the buildings. I tried to figure out water first and then lodging choices.. one hotel seemed to be defunct.. then a store owner who spoke a little english directed me to the another one.. but no one seemed to answer the door bell.. I had thought i'd seen a camping sign so I headed out of town I asked a man to make sure I was headed in the right direction... he was an older man, he told me I should come with him in his car he would take me.. it was only maybe a km away... but the ride was nice none-the-less...At first I thought he spoke no english but it turned out he'd been to america a few times... New York, Chicago, LA, and Los Vegas is what I remember.. he loved Chicago, because he loved jazz and apparently he was a musician. I got delivered at the camp ground and I said my good byes. The woman there seemed harried and did not seem eager to deal with a late customer.. there was no food here either and no place to even plug in my lap top for a little.. my face must have sunk ..I think she could tell it was my sad day....she then said that there is a european plug I needed to plug in the trailer hook up.. I showed her mine she said now it was different.. then she lend me one, although I could tell she was reluctant about it because it must be expensive, turns out this place had wifi too so she gave me the code for that as well.. and she then lead me to my little site behind a shack and next to neighbors who I never met, but heard, they were futzers and clangers..... I think the place had a pool but even for that I had lost enthusiasm..my sad little dinner was now crumbely little bagette chips and the rest of the olive paste. I had to set up my tent without the rear pole..and I tried to stake it and even recruited my walking stick to see if it would help... it did not.. in the night the dew would get in through the back..which made things a bit chilly but dried in the morning..after my lap top charged I went out of the tent and unplugged things since I was worried my laptop cord and morning dew might not mix.. I saw something in the grass it looked like a tiny white ball.. I was not sure if it was a cat or bunny... I pulled out my camera sure it would run away with all the noise I had been making...i tried to find it in the lense and flashed... I tried it a few times till I got a clear shot.. instead of frightening the animal it seemed to draw it closer... when I looked at the photo I realized it was a bunny...but it kinda looked spooky.. cute and spooky... but I decided that it was a good luck sign... I then retreated to my tent to try some of that sleep... I think sleeping on hard ground with sore feet and hips is hard.. and I woke a lot and turned a lot..and neighbors next door started early and loud so it was not a super long nights sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment