adventure starts 3-30-10

I am taking another long trip. I am not completely sure, where i will end up. The only thing i know with some certainty is that i will arrive in Rome Italy, then head up to Assisi. My goal is to walk across to Santiago Spain. I hope to meet some old and new travel friends along the way. I also hope to introspect and gather experience and wisdom to enrich my life. I believe i will end back up in Asia, and once there I will probably do meditation retreats. this blog will document me, as I get all this sorted!

Thursday, September 2, 2010

7-1-10 Pouylebon to Marciac-day 88

7-1-10 Pouylebon to Marciac-day 88

I got going around 8..i hoped I could do a lot of walking...one hour in, and the heat rising...and my head ache reappears. ..and still no ibuprofen ..so I had to just deal with it..... I took frequent shade breaks..i had my a silly looking hat, in hopes it would shielding the glare from the eyes, since i cant get used to wearing sun glasses... I could not decide if wearing it, made things better or worse, so I kept taking it off and once even soaked it with water hoping it would cool...i think the headache was a type of migraine...it was less the pain than just feeling out of it and spacy and at times dizzy and nauseous... I did have electrolyte powder I added to my water...... midday I gave up on the notion that I would walk far this day..i passed through two small towns in hopes of finding a pharmacy, but I already knew better... in Monlezun only 6kms from my goal at the church I took a long break in it's shadow...

lying in the shade really helps as long as I dont have to start walking in the sun again... I even dozed a bit... the church itself was locked..but it felt good to rest...i lingered for a little over an hour there....but eventually I had to drag myself up again... and walk the last bit...Then, with several shade breaks I eventually made it to Marciac... the brightness of the sun actually hurt my eyes... when I got into town it had a giant square...i bee-lined to the pharmacy got ibuprofen and to supermarket for a giant sugary drink..then I sat in the shade for at least half hour just waiting for the effects, and they kicked in...luckily the head ache went away quickly.. then to tourist office.. I got my town map and got steered towards the pilgrim's gite..which was nearby, right next to the cool looking church and I did not need anyone to call for me, you only needed to ring the door-bell... one thing about traveling alone again I had a little bit of worry with the language, it seemed like 90% of the people running gites only spoke french... here again I got lucky, i met a charming older lady she spoke english...and she seemed like she maybe was an artist, this judging from the way the gite looked. ...the gite had artifacts from Africa and some modern art on the wall. It was romantic looking gite...

i got a quick tour and then I showered and did laundry, for now I seemed to have the gite for myself.. I went back out and tried the church doors but it was locked..then I speculated on dinner... I finally decided I best just go to the supermarket and get salad ingredients... because I did not want to make it a late night.. I came back and made myself dinner and was there for two more pilgrims arriving.. One was a swiss bicycle pilgrim,France in they have they ride a different route from us walkers they ride mostly on car roads. He had been underway only six days from his home.. he rode about 90kms a day..he said he was not meeting many pilgrims and was excited that in the last two days he finally was.. he had done the whole route to Santiago by bike before.. but now he said he was too old to go over the bigger hills anymore so he was doing a short trip......... There was also french an older french man who spoke a little english and who showed up a little later. I would not get his story till the next day.. he seemed to have back pain and took a long nap.. . In the evening, the headache was gone but the heat not.. even after ten pm the rooms upstairs were we slept where still hot... I woke a few times because of the heat..

No comments:

Post a Comment