adventure starts 3-30-10

I am taking another long trip. I am not completely sure, where i will end up. The only thing i know with some certainty is that i will arrive in Rome Italy, then head up to Assisi. My goal is to walk across to Santiago Spain. I hope to meet some old and new travel friends along the way. I also hope to introspect and gather experience and wisdom to enrich my life. I believe i will end back up in Asia, and once there I will probably do meditation retreats. this blog will document me, as I get all this sorted!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

7-18-10 Puenta la Reina to Estella/Lizarra day 105

7-18-10 Puenta la Reina to Estella/Lizarra day 105
.. So, in the night I had to deal with the noisy snorer....and to add insult to injury, as he got packed, he kept clanged our bunk a few times as he got himself ready to leave, it was only five am... 'Happy bloody birthday', I thought.... I slept in snatches till six...but there was lots of room noise..then I dragged myself up..i was lucky if I got three hours sleep with all the commotion..... I had coffee from a machine in the hall, not great tasting but better than walking many kms without any....it was always a guess whether one could find an open cafe in any town this early in the morning .... it seemed a lot of peeps had gotten up early only to hang out in the big hall downstairs to do a lot of talking...i hit the road around 6.40 ..to my surprise I found and open bakery-cafe and had a real coffee and croissant ... then walking... I expected to be passed all day by faster walkers but either they had all started ahead of me... or we were on very different schedules...but it I did not get many passers...But I did see many pilgrims on the road ahead of me, it is still and adjustment,... and I was wondering if I could sink into my own head space and experience of the path..or if I would feel like part of a herd...but as the morning progressed the gaps between groups widened...

only in towns with open cafes did I see gatherings of pilgrims again...but as I had been warned the experience of being on a solo adventure was now definitely gone...some pilgrims were friendly and said hello to everyone..others were introverted..others were preoccupied with the group they were walking with and did not notice others...


I dont know if it is the 'magic' of the Camino that is pulling me along...but walking still felt easier despite the few hours of sleep...also there seemed to be an increased urgency to keep going... maybe because of all the people, or because I am ready to see the conclusion of this odyssey... I was not worried about finding lodging...but I think I would have liked to get away from crowds... it felt more like I am on a tourist trip now, with all the people...but perhaps that view would change as I adjust to more people and they intern adjusted to life as a pilgrim...it took longer today than the last two days..but I felt a kind of high while I was walking now...sometimes a bit dizzy too...but over all not unpleasant...it was sunny and still mostly a cooling breeze..but I could tell the afternoon would be murder as far as heat, and I did not want to stay too long out in it... I arrived in my destination town by 1.30... ridiculously early and I could have kept walking but I thought it being my birthday and having had so little sleep the night before perhaps I should not push a good thing... I got registered and paid my 6 euro..the woman was brisk, I am now just a number... she was annoyed because my credentials are falling apart... I had them in my money belt too long...and over time.. they'd gotten damaged... my bed was occupied by a young man...it was a bottom bunk..he claimed he had back injury and so I took his upper bunk... not happy about that since it's hard getting up these things... and last night I had the snorer beneath me... I showered and hung my laundry up as I did so I saw a big cue forming of people coming in off the road and signing in... it would be a full house again... I tried lying down by two pm, it was a bit too early because all the newcomers still had to get settled in...but once I got over the idea that I would ever sleep again..it grew quiet and I did sleep one and half to two hours... I woke up groggy, a little before five... I tried to use the Internet.. but the surly man at the front desk, even though they had taken money all day, refused to change my two euro piece for two one euro pieces..the only change the machine took...not feeling like I was being treated very special on my 'special' day I headed out... it was sunday and five..nothing was open... I walked through town..it is old and charming...but I was a little out of it... also at this time the heat was quite strong.. I felt sorry for the late straggler pilgrims who where coming in now... I dont think they were finding lodging..things were full.. I found to my surprise an open Internet place, the man behind the counter seemed really kind and nice compared to the auberge man. And Yes, I could use my lap top with their wifi.. even better.. I spend two hours there... calling home to talk to peeps for my birthday... and trying to post at least two blogs... and clean up inboxes etc... I had a beer there as well.. Basically, I was waiting for restaurants to open......Eventually, I hit the street again, i found an open restaurant...with pilgrims menu which means it's a bit cheaper and your range of choices is limited.. even more so if your vegetarian... the server seemed also not too warm...and it did not feel like a very special birthday meal... there were pilgrims at other tables getting to know each other... I was feeling more introverted today..although it would have been easy to connect with the others... once back in the Auberge I did have better luck with sleep than the night before... but it did not feel like a 'special birthday day' other than the connections from home via internet...

No comments:

Post a Comment