adventure starts 3-30-10

I am taking another long trip. I am not completely sure, where i will end up. The only thing i know with some certainty is that i will arrive in Rome Italy, then head up to Assisi. My goal is to walk across to Santiago Spain. I hope to meet some old and new travel friends along the way. I also hope to introspect and gather experience and wisdom to enrich my life. I believe i will end back up in Asia, and once there I will probably do meditation retreats. this blog will document me, as I get all this sorted!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

7-17-10 Tiebas to Puente la Reina day 104
got woken by the rustlings of my room-mate...they had a coffee machine in the kitchen but it did not work...so I had instant coffee I tried to share with the Spanish young man Jose, but he could not drink coffee without milk.. we shared crackers and cookies..... I was out the door by 7.15, sun was just rising... ..lost the trail right away but thanks somehow through deciphering my french guide book, and this time guessing correctly..... I knew I was to walk parallel to the highway... the trail was higher up than I anticipated..but yes I found it... I walked most of the morning alone..

.When I arrived in Muruarte I had hoped of real coffee, but no open cafe could be found... instead three tiny dogs charged me, because they wanted to check out the intruder....I paid them my doggy-snack bribe and it worked.. I was allowed to pass without any more hassle........

In Eneriz I met up with other pilgrims like Jose my Spanish buddy, and a group of Belgiums who had sat across from us in the restaurant, last night.. In distance the polish young man, he seemed to be alone again.......i had coffee with Jose...somehow still communicating anecdotes with little language .. he is just a comfortable person to just hang out with... I like the idea of human's being able to enjoy each others company without the need of language... it is easier in some cultures than in others....
I get going again alone, since we all walk different tempos.. I visit a nice church with good energy in Eunate ...again I share the church and road with other pilgrims, this is still a novelty....these are mostly men and older...


As I approached Puenta la Reina it was clear, that the number if pilgrims was increasing.... there were at least eight of us walking close together, into town .. including the older Polish cousin..who still looked a bit possessed but later I saw him stop for the day in Puente la Reina as well...which meant he was doing better self care than the day before...
For me the walking was fairly easy but no faster than usual... the weather was perfect, it was sunny and there was a somewhat chilly breeze.. For a while threatening clouds in morning, but no rain.... I stopped at the first Auberge, which was private, but the lady in the booth outside, who apparently was in charge of registration, was so unfriendly I decided they did not need my business .... so I walk more into town..I find the second Auberge, it is the public one, and only five euro... My timing was good, I came just in the lull of foot-traffic, so I did not wait for shower.. and had room to hang laundry...I was tired and tried to napped a little but I could not really sleep because a set of three restless souls needed to chat the afternoon away while lying in their beds...... I got annoyed but realized it's now probably going to be like this in all the Auberges...my morning euphoria about the Camino dissipated, I dragged myself out of bed five in the eve... all shops were still closed, and the heat of the afternoon was still strong.. I moved very slowly and carefully along the streets so I would not get too hot.. ..I had hoped to find open shops in the evening because this was a bigger town.. I needed a new guide book because my french guide ended in this town, and also the next day was my birthday and I wanted to see if there was any small treat I could buy myself...but I found out in the tourist office that everything would be closed this Saturday evening and then all day Sunday......I walked the town's length on three different parallel streets ........

I ran into older swiss couple again in church..I had told the woman I was in need of a new guide book and she told me she saw shop open.. i found the place, i got german guide book, so one i could actually read!, and the very necessary gummy candy....not finding an open restaurant I found a Bar, and had some tapas which basically was deep fried potatoes and had a beer..... I dink on my lap top...and return to the Auberge, I am really tired... but would have a crappy nights sleep... I still only have one head phone working on my mp3 player and am unable to drown out the incredibly loud snorer vibrating the bunk-bed bellow me... it was a night with a lot of suffering..

No comments:

Post a Comment