adventure starts 3-30-10

I am taking another long trip. I am not completely sure, where i will end up. The only thing i know with some certainty is that i will arrive in Rome Italy, then head up to Assisi. My goal is to walk across to Santiago Spain. I hope to meet some old and new travel friends along the way. I also hope to introspect and gather experience and wisdom to enrich my life. I believe i will end back up in Asia, and once there I will probably do meditation retreats. this blog will document me, as I get all this sorted!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

7-20-10 Torres del Rio to Logrono day 107

Again I get going by sixish...Breakfast was included and had juice, coffee and a packaged sweet pastry... leaving town I got to see the silhouette of church against sunrise sky... some faster walkers pass me in the early hours.... I begin to recognize many of the people now...
It took 11kms or so of walking to hit the first town... I stopped at bar and had omelet on bread and another coffee...the walking day is short...only 20kms today yesterday I had walked 27kmd...but feet soreness started earlier and I needed more breaks again

..I came across a small sweet church along the way... it was open and I sat in it for a while..

Then I arrived in Logrono before noon...it was huge looking maybe even city size? A little intimidating at first... I went to the first Auberge along the way, I think it was the church connected on...there seem to be church, community and private Auberges for pilgrims to chose from, especially in bigger towns....there was also a camp ground but it was too far out of town so I opted for what ever crowded conditions I would face in the Auberge... I had to wait in line...It seemed like I was in a group of new pilgrims, Logrono was apparently another starting point for many people's Camino. There seemed to be a lot of young ones... Despite initial lines .... I got a shower without waiting and to hang my wash without stress...and although I went to lie down too early, around one-ish ...which is when peeps were still blabbing and rustling as they came in... I slept on and off till 3.30 I decided to get up then in case I would sleep till evening and miss dinner and then perhaps have problems sleeping... but it's too early to wake up in Spain...stores don't open till five...i walked though a section of the quiet and hot town...i saw late arrival pilgrims (late is now 3.30) they were being told the Auberge was full and some had walked over 30kms..they where some of the young men I recognized... and they were upset about not finding lodging... I would meet them again the next day and they had found a private Auberge to stay... this mad dash for lodging...is a little annoying... I still didn't want to stress about it...next days leg would be 30kms and I knew I would arrive later than most...I decided if I could not find lodging..i will find a bush to camp behind... so far I had been lucky and always found a place I really doubted my luck will run out ... ...

.. I ended up finding only a bar open and sat in it's cool air conditioning drinking a beer and writing... it filled with old men playing cards... in Spain you can smoke inside... and they dont have rules about kids in bars...so there was little girl running around trying to get my attention... she liked my 'I fart rainbows sticker' on my computer as well.......for dinner I found an open Gyro stand and ate falafel, but it felt like not enough, but I was not willing to wait around late till other restaurants opened....Logrono was actually quite nice to walk around..there seemed to be a lot of graffiti which looked more like art than most..Auberge life is still an adjustment..there are so many of us, it's like we are just numbers...and there are a lot of rules like curfew, to keep things under control.....I had another snorer in the lower bunk.... but I slept five or six hours maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment